Last week, I ran and finished my first marathon ever in Charlevoix, MI. I no doubt will run many more. I tried falling asleep at 10pm as I had to get up at 5:30am for the race. I was trying to fall asleep while reading, which always works for me, but this time I didn't fall asleep for two whole hours. It could have been a slight headache that I had been nursing since about 3pm that afternoon or just pre-race excitement that kept me up. Whatever it was, at 12am I had been reading for two hours and was still wide awake with a small headache. I ended up getting out of bed and going to a nearby liquor store for Tylenol. I popped two and had given up on getting good sleep so the edge was gone. By about 1am I finally fell asleep. I get up at 5:30am and jump in a very quick cold shower to wake up. I did a little stretching, ate an apple and had some of a leftover kale salad. I ate a GU, had a half of a bagel with peanut butter from the hotel breakfast and drank some water. Then I walked out to the start, which was literally right outside my hotel. I had my airpods in, music playing at 6:30am when we took off. I started out running with the 4:15 pace group, but about 2 miles in started to speed up past them. About 6 miles in I passed the 4:00 pace group. I told myself I wanted to beat 4hrs so I felt I was in good shape. At about mile 10 it started to drizzle and it felt great. At mile 11, I told myself lets get in a fast 2 miles to close out the first half of the race and then I can slow down for 5 miles and once I hit mile 18 I'll speed up again. I also was getting pretty soaked as the rain started picking up. Below is a screenshot of the splits.


At mile 13 I was drenched from rain and decided to take my airpods out, as well as take my headband off. I decided I'd slow down a bit until mile 18, when I thought I'd be able to put my airpods back in and pick up the pace for the rest of the race. I did not know the pain that was coming. My legs were absolutely dead at mile 18. I stopped at an aid station to stretch a bit, and saw the 4:00 pace group pass me. I started getting a little bummed out because I knew it would be tough to catch back up with them with the way my legs were feeling. I kept my airpods out, and decided to just tough it out and face my thoughts for the rest of the race. Found some strength for the next 4 miles, but then at mile 23 I hit another wall. My legs were totally dead. I had to walk a lot of mile 23 and when I started up running again, the pain was even worst. I was doing an extremely slow jog for mile 24 and 25, then walked the first half of mile 26 and for the last half mile I did a hobble type of jog. The 4:15 pace group passed me on the last mile but I wasn't too bummed. I finished my first marathon and absolutely loved it. There is no doubt I will do many more of these.

Finished race

Screenshot of me at the finish.


Total time and route.